THE MAN-HUG, I ABSTAIN – a blog by Jase Gram (Hornswood Express)

June 11, 2012 by writehandman.com.au

I don’t really hug my male mates. I’m not a man-hugger. Some blokes are, some blokes aren’t. I’m not.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not an under-hugger at all. A hug from my daughter, my son, my wife (though rare), my family or any female friend of mine, is gold. I just don’t get anything out of the man-hug. I love my mates, but the hugging thing I can really do without. I’m fully supportive of the rights and feelings of my mates who are man-huggers, but I’m just not.

The issue came up a few weeks ago when I was at the Hornswood RSL with seven blokes. It was past midnight and out of the corner of my eye I see Mac, a really good buddy of mine. Before I knew what was happening he had dropped a man-hug on me with a drunken “I love ya mate”. It was all over in a few seconds so I just put up with it, slapped my friend on the back and on he staggered.

No worries.

However, within five minutes another good friend of mine is stumbling and hovering. I thought I knew what he was thinking, but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. Then he came swooping in with an arms-raised “maaaaate”. I put up an open hand against his face and halted his forward progress, squishing his nose to the side a little.

“No, sorry Phil. Thanks for the offer, but you’ve forgotten, I abstain. LISTEN UP FELLAS.” We were standing around the pool table so I had no problem getting all the lad’s attention.

“JUST SO YOU KNOW BOYS, I’VE JUST BEEN PROVIDED WITH A MAN-HUG, COURTESY OF BIG MAC OVER THERE.” Mac smiled and waved.

“I KNOW IT’S NEARING 1:00 a.m, THE MAN-HUG HOUR, BUT I JUST WANT TO REMIND YOU ALL THAT I ABSTAIN. CAN YOU MAN-HUGGERS WHO ARE LOOKING FOR SOME FLESH TO SQUEEZE, ALL TRY TO CONFINE YOUR MOVES TO EACH OTHER.”

“NOW MAC (Mac put out his arms in a hug preparation motion) AND YOUNG PHIL HERE, ARE MORE THAN KEEN TO SNUGGLE IN WITH ANY OF YOU LADS, ALL NIGHT. BUT PLEASE REMEMBER, TO LEAVE ME OUT.”

“AS DISCUSSED PREVIOUSLY, DON’T MISUNDERSTAND ME PHIL. IT’S NOTHING PERSONAL. I’VE BEEN LOOKING AT YOU STANDING OVER THERE AND IF I WAS GOING TO BE HUGGED BY ANYBODY TONIGHT, YOU’D BE MY MAN. I KNOW THIS WILL COST ME ANY CHANCE OF ANY FUTURE MAN-HUGS WITH ALL YOU LADS, BUT I CAN DO WITHOUT THEM. CHEERS BOYS.”

The boys went back to pool game, they’d heard it before.

I think it’s time that us non-man-huggers speak out. We have done nothing wrong. We should not feel uncomfortable for an aversion to a mate pulling an unsolicited man-hug. I think man-huggers should be required to develop some sort of hugdar (like a gaydar), as the onus should be on them to confirm if we are up for the hug, before they go for it. I am also thinking of the man-huggers here, because I’m sure they don’t want to be wasting their time on a bloke who is getting nothing out of the entire process. They would want to focus their efforts on lads who are much more… accommodating.

It’d be REALLY awesome if you left a comment on my blog, Share via the Facebook button below, or just give the Facebook post a thumbs up. Check out my new writing business, which allows me to now claim I am in fact, a professional writer (www.hornswoodexpress.com.au). Cheers.

Advertisements

16 thoughts on “THE MAN-HUG, I ABSTAIN – a blog by Jase Gram (Hornswood Express)

1. Batman says:

Braveheart – Mel Gibson man hugs.
    Gladiator- Russell Crowe man hugs.
    Platoon – man hugs all round.
    Blues- man hugs after a winning try.
    Mate the issue isn’t the man hug as you can see. is it your “man issues” that might stem from some deep problem that if you get a man hug you can’t control your urge that you may want want to take it further?

2. Big Show says:

An interesting blog Jase. Like you, I am not an overt hugger. I do find, though, that I have figured out who are the man-huggers of my friends & family and I psyche myself up for the inevitable man-hug. It does get a little awkward of it’s a surprise meeting though. Hard to prepare if you happen upon a man-hugger unexpectedly.

3. Chilli says:

I cant help but notice that in previous blog’s you’ve mentioned that your friends are not exactly keeping up their best grooming efforts…so from that, I make the conclusion that perhaps your inability to hug your mates my well be directly linked to slipping personal grooming habits of your peer group?? It might be too late to trade in your entire friendship group for male models but maybe you could allow a few aesthetically pleasing blokes into the circle (for purely scientific purposes) and see what happens???

4. Felix says:

Despite a number of ladies I know describing you as a loveably teddy bear, I don’t think you are very huggable sorry mate. No offence intended as I’m shy of the man-on-man embrace myself.

So thanks for the blog – next time we catch up I’ll be sure to throw the shoulder slap rather than an awkward man-hug.

5. Oracle says:

How do you do it? You are the Godfather of a child to a gay couple. Yet you cannot bring yourself to even hug another man? It is remarkable. How do you manage to stick to your somewhat bizarre principles and never alienate the people around you? This is the enigma that is you… So unlikeable yet somehow compelling.

• writehandman says:

Yes Oracle, I am Godfather (I love the “Sopranos” way that word sounds) to a gay couple’s child. I often find it bizarre than anybody, no matter how old a friends they are, would put me (and the Godmother they chose) in charge of the religious upbringing of their kid. No, I don’t like to hug other men (as you well know), which does quite often lead to alienation. Unlikeable??

6. Tyler says:

Writehandman your North shore, middle aged middle class man issues are getting the better of you.. Loosen up.

• writehandman says:

Tyler, you well know I cannot overcome my man issues. As we have discussed, I don’t think it’s weird to not want to finish a beer if some bloke I don’t know accidentely had a sip from it. I think finishing that beer, is an issue. Too loosened up.

I would love to hear your opinion on my latest blog.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s